Monday, March 29, 2010

Weekend Recap

Another productive weekend!

Friday was my "off day", so I used that time to get my oil changed (I just LOVE my new car!) and pick up some items from Wal-Mart for a little slow cooker action this weekend. I own the Fix It and Forget It Lightly cookbook and I LOVE it! I love my slow cooker because it's just SO easy and the end result is always perfectly done, especially when the ingredients involve meat! I made two meals this weekend from the S.C. - one from the book mentioned above called Beef Lite, and then just one of my own - called Chicken & Stuffing (I just made that up).

The Beef Lite recipe is below. Joel & I both really liked it - it was very hearty. The picture I took is from my lunch today.



Ingredients:
1 pound extra lean ground beef

1 package dry onion soup mix

1 10 3/4oz can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup

1 10 3/4oz can of 98% fat free cream of celery soup


1. Spray slow cooker with fat-free cooking spray or insert 1 liner.

2.Combine all ingredients in slow cooker

3.Cook on low for 6-8 hours. (mine only needed to be done for 6 hrs).

4.Serve over rice.


On Saturday, I took a trip to Target and bought my niece her birthday gifts for the upcoming "turning 2" day in May! These days I'm either buying for weddings or baby showers, so I also picked up some baby gifts at TJMaxx for my both of my cousins' soon-to-be bundles. TJMaxx really is the place to buy your baby stuff people - it's cheap and cute! I still have a few more things to buy for each of them, but at least I got a start on it. It's been looming over my head for months and the one kid, Conner, is due any day now so I need to step it up! In the evening, Joel & I had a "datey date" at the driving range. This was my first time at a driving range, so I was skeptical at how fun this would actually be considering the only golfing I do is in the 'mini' form. It was fun though! Joel and I each started off with our own bucket of balls. I was able to hit a few past the 100 yd mark - not bad for my first time! Joel hit two buckets of balls and by his second bucket he really got into the swing of it (no pun intended! :) ), and really started launching them through the field. I'd really like to do it again, but I need to get some pointers on form, and all that crap, from my dad first.

We had such a great time!

Appears as though I know what I'm doing...

After the Palm Sunday service, I came home and made the second slow-cooked meal of the weekend, Chicken & Stuffing. That recipe is also below. Sunday was another great day because I got to spend a few hours talking on the phone with my best girlfriend from home. We don't get to talk much, but when we do the conversation lasts - and it's always just what I need! She currently lives and works in South Carolina, and she gave me some great advice about my next career pursuit. I took the first step today and contacted the local college to get more information on what all I need to do to get enrolled for nursing school. Will any of my hard earned Penn State credits count? How long will it take? How MUCH will it cost?! It has been a painful realization that I really don't like the field of work that I'm in, and I know I probably never will. For a long time, I dreamed of going back to school for pharmacy, which had been one of my picks for a degree back when I was 18. However, she brought to light that some of her pharmacist friends were hating their jobs b/c they were bored and did nothing all day at work because their pharmacies weren't that busy. Plus, the schooling for pharmacy is more than I'm willing to committ to at this point, so the next best thing for me would be nursing. Stay tuned for more updates as I learn more!

The weekend ended on quite a painful note. I was reading an article in Woman's Day about little things you can do to keep the spice in your life - one which was do something different to your hair. Now, I'm not REALLY attached to my hair at all, so I don't mind experimenting - especially with color. The last time I dyed my hair was back in July of 2007 out in Kansas City. I decided I was done with the highlights and needed to return to whatever my natural color was. I've been a light brunette ever since! However, I did love my blonde hair and so I figured, what the heck, and I picked up a highlighting kit at Target. Now, I know what you're thinking - what are you thinking trying to highlight your own hair!? Well, that's where Joel comes in :). But first I must digress. Here's the deal, back when I used to get my hair highlighted at home by my hair dresser, she used that terrible cap - you know the one with the tiny holes in it that you use this hook to pull the hair through? It was PAINFUL. I swore I'd never do it again once I had a job and could afford foils (I believe the highlight in a cap was only $15-20! seriously!). So, when I saw this kit at Target, and I saw the cap, I thought to myself - maybe it won't be so bad if I'm doing it myself. HAHA! WRONGGGGG!!!!!!! I was too optimistic - my hair is too thick and too long for the cap! I started doing it on my own, then I needed Joel's help for the back - let's just say it took about 3 full hours of painfully hooking and pulling hair through teeny tiny holes until it was over. DEFINITELY not worth the money saved in the process - NOT.....AT.....ALL. Anyhow, as I mixed the color, it became quite clear to me that I really wasn't going to have enough to cover my whole head. I made it work, but it probably would've turned out a little better had I bought two boxes. It actually doesn't look bad in my opinion, but I think I'll have it touched up in about a month or so - just to get to those spots that could've used some more bleaching action! By the way, did any of you actually pick up on the fact that I mentioned Joel and how he helped me do this?! He actually did most of the pulling through because it was quite hard for me to see the holes as I got further back my head. How awesome is that? I love him so much! :) Although, he might not be happy that I publicized this!! However, I did grab a shot of my new best friend who continued to surround himself with my wincing and moaning almost the entire time! He has become SO cuddly over the last few weeks - he is just like my very own living-breathing baby doll - in cat form. I'm tempted to put a little dress on him!!!! hahaha


It's not terrible, but it could be touched up!

Chicken & Stuffing
1 10 3/4 oz can of Cream of Chicken soup
1 Box of Stove Top Stuffing Mix - Chicken Flavor
2 cans of Milk (using the soup can to do the measuring).

3 Chicken Breasts (or however many you'd like - it's completely up to you).

I cooked this for almost 6 hrs on low as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like: