Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hungry Girl Cooking: Eggamuffin 101

When my friend Katie first introduced me to the book/movie Julie & Julia, I thought "what a brilliant idea!" - cooking your way through an entire cookbook, why didn't I think of that!  Since that book/movie first came out, Katie and I have been throwing around the idea ourselves.  I don't intend to become the next "Julie", but I do have a TON of cookbooks that I'd like to get through, and so this past week I made the decision to get started cooking my way through them.  The first book I'll be using is Lisa Lillien's 1st cookbook - Hungry Girl.  While I've already made several dishes out of this fun book, there are still a plethora of them waiting to be chopped, blended, measured and baked!  Still, I'm only planning on making the recipes that I'll actually eat - Lord knows I'm p-i-c-k-y!


Courtesy of here.

My focus this week was on breakfast and dinner.  While one does not really need a recipe to make this breakfast item, it was in the cookbook and alas, I made it.  If you're not familiar with Lisa's technique, she basically finds ways to help you enjoy your favorite foods that are typically high in calories/fat/whatever.  Her spin on the below breakfast sandwich is a variation of the Egg McMuffin from McDonald's.  I'm giving you the exact recipe, but I've told you how I made it my own also.

EggaMuffin 101 - 6 PointsPlus
Ingredients:
- 1 regular size Thomas' Light Multi Grain English Muffin
- 1 slice Kraft Free fat free American cheese - I used 1/8 cup of 2% shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 slice Healthy Choice Smoked Ham (or other lean, thin-sliced ham) - I used 2 slices of Butterball Turkey Bacon
- 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters

Directions:
Cook the Egg Beaters in a pan using non-stick cooking spray and toast your english muffin. Once toasted, place the cheese on the bottom half of the bread, followed by the egg, a slice of ham (or bacon), and the top of the muffin. Enjoy!

My work-week breakfast!
A special thanks to Katie for introducing me to this whole idea!  It has helped motivate me to get through all of my cookbooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like: